Friday, January 9, 2009

Important tip

Two blog posts in one day! Yay!!

Neither of them are about movies! Boo!!

But this is an important piece of info! I had a web problem at work yesterday that continued on until just recently. It wasn't because I was visiting NSFW web sites, anyone can get this malware, so watch yourselves!

The problem I had was within the internet. I would do a Google search, and when I would click on a search result link I'd be taken to a shopping page somewhere, or a Yellow Pages search for commerce of some sort. It was really fucking frustrating. I could always manually type in a URL and go there, unless the URL was to a site that had to do with anti spyware programs...then I'd be denied access by my own browser. It's really hard to get information about a malware or spyware infection when your browser won't allow you to go to pages about anti spyware programs.

If you are a Firefox user, when you settle your mouse cursor over a link, the address that the link will take you to appears in the lower left hand corner. When I would move my cursor over a link, it would say go.google and then have a shit-ton of numbers and letters, etc. But I finally learned that this malware/spyware effects many, and you can get it just by being in the web. (So that proves that I really wasn't looking at anything bad at work!) I followed the advice of several cross-referenced blogs and decided to go with Dr. Web CureIt!, a scanner that finds and destroys malware and spyware.

In order to get that program onto my computer, because my browser wouldn't let me get to any of the sites I could download the program from, I had to download it at home, save it to a flash drive, bring the drive to work and upload it to my computer from there. Tedious, but not that hard. The point of this blog post is that it worked perfectly the first time around. I haven't even done the deep clean yet, just the quick scan and my internet browser works fine now.

So, if this ever happens to you, or you just wanna scan your comp to see how it's doing, go to:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/drweb-cureit/cureit.html

and download the program. It's pretty self-explanatory from there. It's nice to a free program that is helpful and works. Have fun and happy problem-free browsing!

No comments: