Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Robbie the Rabbit

One of my favorite horror video games of all time is Silent Hill 2. I like Silent Hill 2 because it is the only one I've actually played. Thankfully, I've read a lot of articles online saying that #2 is the best game of the series anyway, so I feel pretty good about that. (I own a copy of Silent Hill 5 but I've not had the chance to play it yet.)

The enemies/villains in the Silent Hill series are creepy and grotesque and really creative and fucked up. My favorite, many people's favorite, is Pyramid Head, or The Red Pyramid. Here is his picture:

He is really cool, and in the movie they make him awesome. This picture is him from the movie. in the games, as far as I know, he never carries around a dead body. He does represent a sexual id of the protagonist though, so he is often doing some really strange, apparently sexual things when you see him. But I digress.

In Silent Hill 3 you go to the abandoned amusement park and you see Robbie the Rabbit, the mascot, sitting slumped on a park bench. He has blood all over his mouth and he's probably dead. From what we know about amusement park mascots we can infer that there is a guy in the costume. Why the blood on the mouth? No idea!

In Silent Hill 4 you are in a room in an apartment building for most of the game. There is a hole in the wall that allows you to see into the room next to you and you can often look in there and check on the woman who lives there. She has a Robbie the Rabbit stuffed animal on her bed. Seems fine, but after you look in her room more than 10-12 times, you see Robbie the Rabbit staring and pointing at you!

But to add some humor as well as increase the creepiness of Robbie, here's a mash-up video of his many appearances in Silent Hill. (Most of the appearances are in Silent Hill: Arcade which is only available in Japan.)

UPDATE: The video I've posted above of Robbie the Rabbit is apparently part of a bunch of clips called The Art of Silent Hill that are on the DVD of Silent Hill the movie...I pakced my DVD so I can't prove this yet, but that's the story.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

Dude, don't know your e-mail, but you need to do a David Carradine tribute: He was found dead in a Bangkok hotel of an apparent suicide. How sad.

and Robbie the Rabbit creeps me out, but it reminds me of Bun-O-Vision, which I have just posted on my own blog. Check it out.