Monday, February 23, 2009

A good book

I've got book ADD, which sucks because I love reading.  It seems that every time I try and get into a new book, I fall asleep.  This trend, which has been on-going for years, was broken last week when I started reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon.

When the book came out a few years ago, everyone raved and for good reason. I just finished it tonight.  I think it only took me about a week, and I wasn't reading it at a furious pace either.  I kept being drawn to read more of the book. I read it quickly, but feel at the same time I felt that I had been challenged intellectually.  I found it a very satisfying, but sometimes difficult read.  The words and structure were easy, but the story has its moments of hardship.  The story is narrated by a mentally challenged individual who is brilliant at math, but in the same vein as Rain Man, can't cope with other aspects of society.  The story is told through his POV, and as such the narration is very deliberate.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good book.  Pick it up soon.

2 comments:

die Frau said...

A GREAT book. So interesting how Haddon gets us in Christopher's head yet tells a complete story.

Did you notice the chapter numbers are all primes? :-)

innspecter said...

I must confess that I didn't "notice", but since Christopher tells you that the chapter numbers are all primes, I knew it was so. I have to admit to being very scared by the appendix.