Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fun/Serious Stuff

Sometimes, when I see something that I want to rally behind a little bit, I get pseudo-political on this blog and try to get you guys aware of some stuff you might not know about. Boingboing.net, a favorite site of mine for lots of reasons, has been following closely the movements of the British government as it takes steps to "protect" its citizens from terrorists. The British government is doing everything from creating networks of CCTV cameras in large cities to arresting people for taking pictures of buildings or manhole covers.

The other day a couple of posters came out prodding citizens to report any suspicious activity in their neighborhoods to the police. Does this sound like a government-run neighborhood watch? Yes. Might that be a nice idea? Sure. But really, what's going to happen, as it always does, is that certain people will start reporting all sorts of crazy things, and nosing around in other people's business looking for "clues". Also, the tighter the laws get, the more restless people get. I can't believe we haven't figured this out right now. If the terrorists win by making people change their lifestyles, then terrorism has won out in London. Muse on this old adage if you will: Locks only keep honest people out. I've put that in this blog before, but it's true for so many different forms of control and censorship. I don't care if I overuse it, it's an awesome statement.

Anyhow, Cory Doctorow over at boingboing.net called for people to submit Photoshopped ads poking fun at the anti-terrorism posters up in London the other day. So I submitted one. It's the fourth poster down. The one with the muppet.

You can see the posting here.

As serious as the over-tightening of British laws is, I'm still really excited to have something I did postedon a website I visit every day. It's so cool!

The original posters can be found here.

1 comment:

DinoDiva said...

Congrats. You got on two of your favorite websites in one week.
You totally rock.