Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kindle 2

Anyone out there ever heard of Amazon's Kindle 2? It is a tablet that displays and can read aloud books that you download from Amazon.com's Kindle library. The device costs $360, but the books you download cost about $10 a piece. There is a library of almost 250,000 books right now, and the Kindle 2 has 3G wireless connectivity so you can download books on the go without a PC.

I also said that the Kindle 2 has the ability to read aloud your new books to you.

Except that it might not have that ability, even though Amazon.com already advertises it as so. The only exception is that Amazon.com has said that if the book's author has not agreed to let their book be fed through the translator, that particular book will not be able to be read aloud.

See the Author's Guild of America thinks that if your Kindle 2 can read your book aloud to you then that's a violation of copyright.

But that's a recent adjustment, and the Kindle 2 had previously shipped with no caveat. Please read this article before buying a Kindle! It makes very good points about why the machine is a waste of your money at this point.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/mar/31/cory-doctorow-kindle

1 comment:

die Frau said...

I'm pretty tree-huggy, but I just can't personally get behind the Kindle, not entirely. I think we have far too many screens we look at already, and I love the feel of a book in my hands, the ability to make notes in the margins. Plus, you're never going to be able to pass down your grandmother's Kindle. Call me nostalgic, but that's how I see it.

I see the use for it, but it's nothing I'd want.