Tuesday, March 24, 2009

WTF?!

A movie that a lot of horror fans, and increasingly a lot of movie fans, have been routing for, and positively responding to, is Let the Right One In, a Swedish vampire film from 2008. If you live in Ithaca, NY, as I do, you could have seen it at Cinemapolis [- The Movie State]. The DVD came out last week with a major flaw. I wanted to buy it, but wanted to hold off for a bit...and I'm sure glad I did.

According to this article at Icons of Fright, the subtitles are all wrong. When I say "wrong", I mean abridged, elided, shortened and mangled. A lot of the tone and humor of the original script are lost in this mishap. No one from Magnolia DVD has made a statement, but when they do, I'll post a follow-up.

I know that not many out there will care, but it brings up a valid point: Who can you trust to correctly relay the spoken-language information from the screen to the audience? I don't speak fluently in any language other than English, so I have to rely on the translator to give me the most accurate subtitles they can. Just by listening to the people on screen talking as I read along I know that it's not always word-for-word, but there has to be an effort made.

No comments: